I created my first website in 1996 using Macromedia Cyberstudio (which was bought by Adobe
How to Be an Entrepreneur and Still Have a Life (Jim McCarthy)
For Episode #2 of A Slice A Day I found this article originally on LinkedIn and then found Jim’s web site and we’re sharing it from there.
Article really struck a chord because of the many things he mentions that a lot of us are doing and doing incorrectly. And this article is designed to get us all back on the right track and still have a life.
Points and Takeaways:
- Get Focused – What are you doing that someone else could do? Differentiate between urgent versus the important.
- Get Efficient – Work smart, even if you’re working long hours. It’s about high quality output. And continue to develop your skills.
- Optimize Your Day – When do you do your best work? Some people it’s during the day and with some it’s a night. Whenever that time is, optimize the use of your time. It’s a Marathon, not a Sprint.
- Set Boundaries – Challenge yourself to get things done quicker. It’s energizing, it will help you delegate tasks to others. Set time aside to work and only be bothered with email or phone calls only during an emergency. Most of the time it’s NOT an emergency. Urgency can be energizing.
- Go Slower to Improve Your Chances for Success – Do not succumb to the hidden pressures of building your business as quick as you can. Set a pace that is conducive to your work ethic and habits. You make better decisions when you just take it easy.
- Remember Why You’re Doing This in the First Place – Most of know someone who has had a great career, made a lot of money, but were not happy and in the process; to quote a George Strait song ‘lost a wife and girlfriend along the way’….McCarthy quotes Harvard Psychology Professor Dan Gilbert in the article. Great quote, read the article, you’ll enjoy it.
Latest posts by Mark Tennant (see all)
- A Slice A Day #194 – Content Strategy 101 for Content Marketers: Your Questions Answered (Meghan Casey) – January 26, 2016
- A Slice A Day #192– The Biggest Content Marketing Trends to Focus on in 2016 (Rob Wormley) – November 18, 2015
- A Slice a Day REWIND #191 – Case Study: Social Media Engagement as a Point of Differentiation (Trevor Young) – November 9, 2015